GOLDEN VISA - ALGARVE - PORTUGAL
What is the Portugal Golden Visa?
The Golden Visa Program - Portugal, (The Residence Permit Program), is a five-year investment-based residence programme for non-EU citizens. This is part of Portugal's initiative to attract foreign investment. It is one of the most popular “Investment for Residency” programs which began in 2012 and has attracted many families who have successfully relocated to Portugal.
Portugal Golden Visa Scheme:
- Minimum investments from as little as €250000
- Investment options in Real Estate, Business Set-up, Capital Funds. Investment Funds
- Access to the Schengen area visa free
- Option to choose Portuguese citizenship after 5 years
- Immediate family members are included in the application also. Defined as spouse and children.
Most importantly the Golden Visa Program gives the applicant the clear benefits of living in a safe and stable European country with amazing quality of life. The successful applicants will benefit from the right to live, study and work in a country with over 300 days of sunshine per year, stunning countryside and coastline, wonderful and hospitable people, and an amazing quality of life. You and your family members will then have access to the entire Schengen region and all its benefits. There is a possibility to become a permanent resident providing all government guidelines are adhered to and the qualifying investment is kept for at least 5 years.
Bear in mind that in applying for the Portugal Golden Visa scheme your immediate family are applicable as follows:
- Your Spouse or legal partner may apply
- Any dependent children under 18 years of age may be included
- Dependent children up to the age of 26 maybe considered if they can prove that they are financially dependent on the parents or engaged in full time education.
- Your parents may also be included if they are over the age of 66 or at 55 years of age if they are dependent on you.
- All successful applicants can benefit from access to Visa Free Travel in the 26 nations of the EU and a wider access to 183 nations globally.
Qualifying for the Golden Visa Portugal
It is required to make a qualifying investment in Portugal in Real Estate or Funds and hold the investment for 5 years. As each case is individual, we would always help by referring you to a consultant or lawyer that specialises in the Golden Visa Application process and can confirm exactly which documentation you will need to support your application.
Some basic criteria that you must meet:
- Have a minimum investment of €250000 depending on the investment route chosen.
- Spend a minimum of 7 days in Portugal in the first year of stay and 14 days or more for the subsequent 2 years. This qualifies as the “stay requirement”.
- You must have no criminal record
- You must be a non EEA, non EU and non-Swiss citizen
Some Routes to The Golden Visa:
Investment in Residential Real Estate
This route has some variables, and you could invest in some designated areas of Portugal with a minimum of €500000 which can be lower at €350000 if the investment is in a rehabilitation concept. There are opportunities to get a further 20% reduction if you choose to invest in on of the designated low-density areas of Portugal. Investment in Real estate in The Azores or Madeira has the same thresholds of €500000 and €350000 respectively.
Investment in Commercial Real Estate
This follows the same guidelines as above with a minimum investment of €500000 in a commercial project or €350000 if the project is deemed to be a rehabilitation project. You can obtain the further 20% discount if the project is in a designated low-density area.
Job Creation In Portugal
This is a route that involves the incorporation of a company with the development requiring the creation of at least 10 jobs in Portugal amounting to a similar contribution of €500000
Research Project in Scientific Fields
For research projects in science or technology with a contribution of at least €500000
This route can be accessed with a donation of funds not less than €250000 to support the arts in Portugal or the preservation/reconstruction of a heritage site.
Capital investment of funds
This route consists of transferring at least €1,500,000 to Portuguese account.
Subscription to Funds
There are qualifying funds in Portugal that with an investment of €500000 as a minimum you can access the Golden Visa Route.
One thing that is very important to note is that the criteria does change, and we cannot guarantee the information above will be relevant at time of application, this is for reference only. In 2021 some changes were made to the investment criteria which affected certain application routes such as the ability to invest in residential property in Portugal – previously this was defined as “anywhere in Portugal” and following updates is restricted to certain areas.
For up to the minute information of the Golden Visa Portugal scheme drop us a message here and we will assist you in all areas.
**Imobotilde is not a Financial Advisory or Immigration Specialist and as such for matters relating to Golden Visa, NHR and other investment and visa related areas we work with partner companies to get you the most accurate and up to date information.
One thing for sure is that Portugal Golden Visa Scheme is one of the best in the world for a reason!